Saturday, September 13, 2008

Silencing the voices within - aka character development

Sounds like a rant on multiple personality disorder doesn't it? Some of my other writing pals and I were discussing the way that characters can take on a life of their own within the recesses of your mind. My husband's take on the whole situation was, "Don't they have medication for that?" Very funny sweatheart, now why don't you go take a nap? [evil grin and manical laughter as I contemplate his knife roll.]

No, it is all good, but in all seriousness - as crazy as this sounds, sometimes a character just won't shut up and leave you alone. As they "talk" to you, the process becomes much akin to meeting a new friend. (or not depending on the character who is doing the talking.)

Maybe this is a struggle for the newbie as a writer and the authors who have a number of best-sellers under their belts just breeze through the process. I don't know - I would love to find out! (translation - hope my book sells, a lot of copies.) In my case, the process goes something like this: initially I sketch out what the character looks like in very rough dimensions, gender, coloring, height, hair and eye color; then I start filling in the specifics and checking facts like geography, time period, etc.; finally, I work on their backstory - most of which may never make it into the story but it helps me listen to what the character "tells" me with the right context.

After this somewhat logical approach, things take a less than rational turn. Night-time is the worst. As I snuggle up to sleep, scenes unfold, dialogue develops and I know its time to forget about shut eye. I have a laptop and my husband bought me a substantial bed rest pillow when I was carrying our second child so I am good to go until my muse decides to give it a rest. (Or my normally tolerant husband points out that being sleep deprived and handling knives isn't so good for retaining his digits.)

Some writers keep a pen and notepad by the bed, others use the mini-recorder devices but I think the main point is that the voices won't let you rest until you listen. And take notes.

No comments: